• Spark Award for Volunteer Service, Boy Scout Troop 95 Downers Grove, 2016
• Downers Grove Chamber of Commerce Speaker, Contributor of Legal Services 2015
• Corporate Counsel of the Year, Chicago Bar Foundation, Pro Bono Volunteer, 2006
• Pro Bono Center for Disability and Elder Law, Volunteer of the Year, 2005
• McDonald’s Corporation Team Award 2000
In addition to law practice, Laura Hois is Town Clerk of Downers Grove Township, 2013-2017.
To gain experience working as an Assessor, in 2016 Laura began working part-time as Deputy Assessor, Sugar Grove Township in Kane County, assuming responsibility for residential assessments, board of review submittals, property valuations, researching prior 3 year sales, and most importantly, assisting callers by answering questions ranging from “my neighbor’s house is bigger than mine, why is their tax bill smaller” to “what exemptions am I eligible for?”
During her 19 years as in-house counsel for McDonald’s Corporation, a global food service company, Laura advised senior management on operations-related issues. She served as U.S. Energy Counsel, securing cost-saving electric energy contracts to achieve substantial cost savings for restaurants. Laura managed an 11-person real estate team, documenting restaurant deals in shopping centers, malls, universities, airports, train stations, and special venues.
Laura became McDonald’s first-ever Legal Department Training Manager in recognition of the lease negotiations training and attorney seminars she provided in-house. She established the real estate legal department’s letter of intent procedure and led negotiations training in regional offices throughout the country. Laura handled over 300 real estate transactions in regions across the United States, receiving numerous awards for innovative development.
Laura led pro bono and community involvement projects for McDonald’s in the City of Chicago. She received the Chicago Bar Foundation Exelon Corporate Counsel of the Year Award for dedication to pro bono work in 2006, and Volunteer of the Year Award from the Pro Bono Center for Disability and Elder Law in 2005. She was Chair of the McDonald’s 350-member Women’s Leadership Network in 2003-2004.
Laura received her J.D. with distinction from DePaul University College of Law and her Bachelor of Arts degree in English, minor in Business from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
• Town Clerk since 2013, serving to 2017
• Deputy Assessor 2016, C.I.A.O. and State Board of Review Certified,
• Real Estate Attorney, Law Office of Laura Hois
• DuPage County Bar Association, Illinois State Bar Association
• Agent, Chicago Title Insurance Co., ATG
• Training Manager, McDonald’s Legal Department
• Chair, McDonald’s Corporation Women’s Leadership Network 2003-2004
Candidate — Downers Grove Township Assessor